Monday 25 June 2012

Rocky Road At The Bottom Of 1001 Steps

I VENTURED DOWN 1001 Steps in Ocean Park twice this past week. I stepped on lacy shadows on Saturday in the early afternoon. (Click on pictures to enlarge.)

It was a noisy walk crunching over gravel, pebbles ...

and stones to the beach.

I saw a sun drenched buttercup along the way.

A red kite in the light breeze ...

floated in a crayon blue sky ...

breaking a string of rainy weather.

Large retainer blocks made a solid canvas for silver and black graffiti.

After scrambling along the rocky shore, I sat on a boulder and enjoyed the view.

Two days earlier, I took a trek down the steps after dinner.

The air around me was a ...

balmy blanket of soothing comfort.

I couldn't resist bringing home a random rock that I found ...

in the shape of a heart.

The Amtrak passenger train heading from Vancouver, BC, back to Seattle in the US seemed cushioned on the tracks as it whisked by briskly.

It was a change from the overly long freight trains but equally unsafe. People have a tendency to walk on the tracks. This is very dangerous because there are hidden corners and the distance and direction of a sound can be misleading.

A small group of people were doing a photo shoot against the backdrop of red and yellow grafitti. It was just for fun, they said.

Their flash apparatus was neatly attached to the photographer's umbrella.

Nature carved two elephants touching noses on a nearby rock.

The tide rolled in higher and higher lapping over stones that appeared to dance in the water.

One boulder was too big to be engulfed by the sea. It looked strange ... like a large head that had broken free from an ancient Easter Island statue to land on the beach at Boundary Bay in BC.

To enjoy more sights from around the globe link to Our World at the sidebar.

Postscript: Sadly, a woman jogger was struck and killed by the Amtrak train mentioned in this post as it sped through the White Rock area on July 15, 2013. A news article about the accident can be found HERE.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

14 comments:

  1. What a fantastic, beautiful place!! Superb captures! I would love to visit there -- even with all the steps!! Love the train, too! Looks like you had a wonderful trip!

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really great series!! Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures from a great place!
    have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great series of beautiful photos.
    What a lovely place.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Wish you a wonderful day.
    Mette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful examples of nature's artistry here, and lots of atmosphere. Gorgeous photos and a very interesting post.

    I'm also wondering how you got back up all those steps - looks like a lot of climbing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are dreamy! The graffiti is a surreal touch on that gorgeous landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The red kite drew me in but they are all fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  8. While enjoying the lacy patterns and the sound under my feet, walking down 1001 steps brought me another fascinating world at the bottom. “The air around me was a balmy blanket of soothing comfort” – I can relate to it when I’m at a certain beach. Though I’ve always felt but this time I found as if something new that, penelope, you have a way with capturing a particular quality or atmosphere of the sea, beach, or puddles. All the photos are superb with your captions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The 1001 steps in the dappled shade looked so inviting I would love to follow them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fabulous shots of this gorgeous place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1001 steps WOW!!!and twice in a week!!!I loved what you saw...Have a great day!

    Shantana

    ReplyDelete
  12. You took me on an amazing journey in your part of the world. Great pictures, great stories to go along with them. I love trains so it was nice to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your words and photos have brought me back to my beloved ocean. It's been missing in my heart the last few days, and I really appreciate seeing it through your eyes again.

    Brings back memories of that day we had coffee together, and went for a walk, even though we didn't go near the water, I still remember the beauty of the park, and the eagles.

    Jen @ Muddy Boot Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  14. Penelope, i went from picture to picture in this post, each one seeming a highlight, until it became impossible to select a favourite. Perhaps, those two elephants touching faces. I wonder if I would have seen that image without your vision. And, the heart-shaped rock. How perfect, as a way of recalling the peace and comfort you found in its surroundings. I think, in your found pleasures, you manage to bring them to all of us who are fortunate enough to know your blog. Thank you for another delightful post.

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.