Sunday 17 June 2018

My Dad The Unsung Hero

MY DAD was an unsung hero like so many immigrants. He never built me a dollhouse or taught me how to swim but he tried his utmost to provide for his family in an unfamiliar land. He died when I was fourteen and was seriously ill for many years prior. A university professor, philosopher, insatiable reader, musician, religious scholar and certified accountant in Europe, he was an educated man unable to apply his non-English degrees and skills in Canada. The farm he operated in Quebec failed so he labored at other jobs under harsh conditions. Falling deathly ill in the process, his earlier riches seemed like a faraway dream. Perhaps he lost his pride and sense of personal worth along with his health. Now all these years later I understand his bravery and the bravery of those currently seeking freedom from political unrest and tyranny of all kinds. I was born in Canada but the challenging early history of my parents has made me empathetic to the plight of immigrants everywhere.

To explore sights from around the globe, visit OUR WORLD at the sidebar.

See more BC scenes at Penelope Puddlisms: BC Life Is A Whale Of A Ride.

Copyright by Penelope Puddlisms

9 comments:

  1. A very poignant post in today's political climate Penelope. Your Dad was an amazing man to face such hardships, as many immigrants did and do now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A heartfelt tribute to your late father on Father’s Day. 14-year-old is too young to lose a loved father and to understand his life in the context of his times. He’d be delighted to be remembered in such a way and your understanding as a matured daughter to the current situation of the immigrants. He must have lived his times under difficult circumstances with efforts, trying to be true to oneself.

    Yoko

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, my dear Ms Puddle. If there is an Ever After, I'm sure your father knows how much you appreciate him.
    Hugs from here.
    Kay
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a moving story. Unless we are descended from native peoples here in North America, we all have immigrant roots. You inspire me to post the immigrant story of my ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Society would fall apart and be less rich if we didn't have immigrants... (I'm an immigrant to Sweden.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, wonderful story, your Dad sounds amazing. I would not be here if it were not for my immigrant ancestors. Enjoy your day and new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a fine tribute to a brave man. I believe that all people who have a heart and soul at all feel empathy for immigrants ... they have made our countries great (and would continue to do so). I need to not add that heart and soul are sadly lacking in our so-called leadership .

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is hard for immigrants to bring all of their skills to bear in the new country. When I taught school we had an engineer from Vietnam (right after the US evacuation) as our custodian. He struggled to get his credentials renewed by going to night school. This is a wonderful tribute to your dad. - Margy

    ReplyDelete
  9. just stopped by again to wish you a belated Happy Canada Day .... i got excited with the post title above 'Gateway to A Good Life In Canada'.... was hoping it meant you were opening your doors to some of us from south of you who envy you very much thee days!! (Joking, but only sort of.)

    ReplyDelete

YOUR THOUGHTS add colour to the content and are always much appreciated.